Saturday, April 17, 2010

Weekend Part II

Last weekend we were really busy, and one thing we did was go and see my dear sweet friend Shelley and her new little baby Audrey. Shelley also has a little girl named Olivia who I believe is about to turn 2. So like us, she will have her hands full. After we had Marak, one thing that was really nice was all of the people who brought us food. It was really nice to not have to worry about cooking when we were just so desperately trying to survive with two kids and no sleep! So my friends and I got together and have been planning on making Shelley some food, we have been patiently waiting for her to have the baby. Shelley is a very remarkable lady, she was only in labor 3 hours, and didn't make it to the hospital in time to get the epidural. She had to do it all without any drugs!! She is a stronger woman than me, I don't know if I could have done it. But now her and the baby are doing fine, little Olivia seems to be liking her new sister too which is always nice.
My friends and I got together and planned out our meal for Shelley, with the help of her little sister Kelsey. Kristen made some very yummy brownies for desert, Amber made a yummy looking pasta salad, and I made calzones.
I used the Jiffy pizza crust mix because I was short on time, I usually try to make my own. With the boys being so small and needy I have been having to make some short cuts when cooking. I like the jiffy mix because it taste pretty close to being homemade. I decided to make her a supreme and a pepperoni & sausage. For the cheese I used fresh mozzarella, parmesan, asiago, provolone, & romano.




This is a trick I learned when I was selling pampered chef. If you have whole olives you can slice them quickly & easily by putting them in an egg slicer.


Here is what they look like when they are all chopped up. Doesn't that look easy? I love things that save some time. (and things you can do one handed, I am usually holding a kiddo while cooking)


This is what all of the veggies looked like when they were all chopped up and ready. I had green & red bell peppers, black olives, red onion, green onions, and garlic. I made WAY to much so for the rest of the week we used it in sandwiches, and omlets, it was SO good!


Here is all of the filling on the dough. After I made these I was watching Giada at home on the food network and she made some too, but on hers she used egg wash to seal them. I wish I would have thought of that while I was making mine, it would have made sealing them much easier, and nothing would have leaked out. Guess I will have to do it next time.


They are looking a little messy here, and not quite as cute as Giada's but they were still good.


And here they are all finished. I wrapped them in foil, and put them in a cute large bowl to take them to Shelley. Later she said that they really enjoyed their food from all of us. I know that she was probably relived that she didn't have to cook. Wouldn't it be nice if people brought you dinner every night once you had kids. That would be so much easier. But then your kiddo's would never get to experience your yummy home cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment