Thursday, June 17, 2010

On CNN....again!!

It is that time of year again...the time again where my neighborhood makes an appearance on CNN. This past Monday our town had 11" of rain! The majority of it fell in just a few short hours. As I left for work at 7:00 it wasn't raining at all so I hopped in my car with no rain jacket or umbrella. By the time I hit the highway it was pouring down in buckets! And by the time I got to work 40 min later, it took an extra 20 due to the buckets falling down, it was still raining. So we here in Oklahoma keep up with the weather because you never know what it is going to do. One minute it is sunny, and the next its hailing. So I pulled up our local news station's web site to check out the radar, and I see on their blog that the dam in my neighbor hood is about to go out!! And they were evacuating my neighborhood!!! I can not even begin to tell you the panic that set in, my children were at my neighbors house and I was 20 min away!! My husband met me at home, and we packed up our stuff and got the kids and got out of there ASAP! When we left we already had some water coming in our house :(

This is part of our little island. I love how pretty and calm it looks here. It really wasn't the water was up a LOT higher than normal.

We tried to get close to the dam, but they had the road blocked off from people like us who want to take a picture. :)

We finally came back home and we didn't have a lot of damage...luckily! We will be replacing some wood flooring and part of a wall. It could have been a lot worse, and we are just thankful that everyone is okay.

1 comment:

  1. You have such a gorgeous blog! I stumbled upon your site while reading Pioneer Woman comments, and I'm so glad that I did!

    Keep up the great work--looking forward to reading more!

    Darcy
    The Chic College Cowgirl
    http://chiccollegecowgirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete