Monday, April 18, 2011

Weekend get-away!!

This past weekend was our 6th wedding anniversary!! And for the first time in 6 years, Wes and I went on a trip! It was a much needed and way long overdue trip! I'm not really sure why we waited so long to get away, I guess somewhere between I do and the present time, life happened along with kids and work....making it next to impossible to get away. I have been lucky enough to know Wes for the last 9 years. We had a lot of common friends in high school, but we didn't meet until college. We are both from small towns, and I worked at the local mall in high school with almost all of the kids in his high school, but we didn't meet then. Wes and I met through a friend of mine, who just so happened to be his cousin Carrie, she set us up on a kind of blind date. She brought him in one day to the Gap where I was working at the time so we could meet. When we met it was like the universe came to a complete stop, and our future lives flashed before our eyes. And after our first date, I knew with all of my heart that I couldn't spend the rest of my life without him. Of course I had to wait awhile before I clued him into how I felt (I didn't want him to think I was nuts!) So after two years of dating, and a year of engagement we were married! And now we have our two beautiful little boys. These past 6 years have been wonderful, I am so blessed to be his wife. He's walked beside me in the good times and carried me through on the bad times. The last three years have been the hardest for me by far, with loosing three grandparents, having two boys in two years, and watching my mom battle cancer twice...he's been my rock, carrying me through it all. So with the last three years being so crazy, I decided that this year was going to be better! I was going to be better, no more grieving, no more crying every time someone died on TV, no more crazy emotions. So this year I suggested that we go to our family cabin in the mountains and go four wheeler riding! Which he LOVED the idea, Wes is a huge hunter, camper, hiking woodsmen. I swear he should have his own survival show out in the woods! I am not much of a camper, or hunter. I definitely wouldn't survive out in the woods, I am more of a glamper than a camper...but our place in the mountains is one of the most beautiful, magical places I have ever been to. I spent a lot of my childhood there riding four wheelers with my family. The last time I was there I was pregnant with Brody, Wes and I went for the day to look at some hunting land, and he too fell in love with it. I haven't been back since, mainly because it reminds me so much of my grandpa, he died when I was pregnant with Brody. I just haven't been able to bear it. But this is a new year, and I can handle anything with Wes by my side. So off we went...we had the best time, we rode four wheelers all day long, and I got to show Wes all of the fun trails, and how to get to the lake, and show him the big foot sightings! We had such a blast, and it was so much needed. We decided to take the scenic route down there and back, I love going that way, and driving through all of the cute small towns along the way, and eating that good southern home cooking along the way.

This is Wes as we were driving the long way up the mountain! He looks so serious here! haha


This is the view as you are entering the cabin, isn't it amazing. I remember the first time I saw it when I was a little girl, I thought it was so magical. And of course you have to have one cheesin it! This is the cabin my parents built. This isn't the original cabin here, it burned down when I was in high school. Right before my grandpa died my parents built this, I am so glad they did. I am glad we can go back and have a nice place to stay and remember all of the good times we had there.



This is the home of Big Foot!! BEWARE!! There are lots of really good Big foot stories told in this area, lots of weird sightings! I used to be terrified to ride alone in the woods in fear big foot would snatch me!!haha!



Here Wes and I are riding around lake Pappy Kirk!

It was an awesome get away, and hopefully we won't wait another 6 years to do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment